Monday, April 27, 2015

tasting

he
He's been flicking through his Science Experiments books again lately. In this experiment, I had to prepare a range of tastes (lime, olive, tahini, cheese, sugar-free dark chocolate, syrup) for him to identify, blindfolded! I'm pretty sure that the lure was not the complex science of taste, but the fact that there was a picture of chocolate in the 'What you need' list. Similarly, yesterday he chose the experiment that involved building 3D shapes out of marshmallows and uncooked spaghetti.

she

 Food is awesome! I think her current favourite is avocado on crumpet. Or cheese (obviously). She happily munches on lemon wedges without acknowledging sourness in the least. She devoured her first meal of curry/rice/naan last night. With the change in weather last week I put socks on her (for the first time since she realised she has feet), then looked in the pram and was worried we'd lost a sock. Until I saw her grin.

me
I haven't tasted sugar in a while. Someone I know wrote a book summarising his research into fructose and I finally decided to stop procrastinating reading it, as I trust what he says and I knew I'd have to make a change. Here's an extract from the book if you're interested in knowing a little about my decision. An extract of the extract: Sugar is converted directly to fat by your liver and it destroys your appetite control so that you want to eat more of everything. It also causes diabetes, clogs your arteries and give you Alzheimer's disease (to name just a few of its delights). 

 I'm not finding it hard; it's pretty easy to substitute (I got a couple of recipe books for my birthday to help). I still eat glucose, the good part of sugar (and vital for life), but not fructose. In brief, fructose is as addictive as nicotine and cocaine, and kills far more people. Our bodies can't deal with the quantities that we eat these days (compared to a few generations ago). So, it's not a diet but rather acknowledging a food intolerance and quitting an addiction.